Friday, February 16, 2007

Everything Stops For Tea

A sudden bout of nostalgia and a dull, damp afternoon sent me scurrying for comfort so we lit the fire and I invited our British neighbours round to join us for afternoon tea as we're still an alcohol free zone here.
Every Sunday when I was a child my mother would prepare high tea for us and our grandparents and she'd always make a Victoria sponge. Sunday can't have been much fun for her having to come home from Mass and start preparing the Sunday roast lunch, clearing it up and then starting on the tea..
Tea time is also a good opportunity to show off some of my nice porcelain which spends far too much time languishing in the cupboard.The rose plate is Royal Worcester and was a present as were the pretty patterned demi tasses. The lovely white pot and cups I bought in a junk shop. It's made from wafer thin porcelain and is a lovely example of art deco, just look at the shape of the handles.
So I made a plate of smoked salmon sandwiches, a chocolate sponge, (thanks, Nigella) and a nice pot of PG Tips tea, strong and refreshing. There are few British foods that I hanker after but I couldn't do without tea
In fact it was all such a huge success that I'll do it again next time it rains on a Sunday.

10 comments:

tut-tut said...

It all looks lovely. I especially like that tea (coffee?) pot and cups. Wish I could have attended!

Shaz said...

My porcelain spends way to much time packed away also. I need to find some nice display cabinets but use them more regularly. This is a great idea as I am alcohol free also(Dahh)lol. still not smoking either (I am so good, giggle) I love your little treasures, it used to be such a passion for me to go searching for little and large treasures a like.

Hugs Ang, I am going to clean out under the stairs to see what I can find and use. YaY

Loui (and his mum!) said...

What no cucumber sandwiches or cockles and winkles to put inbetween bread? Your English Sunday high tea looked lovely and reminded me of days gone by. Why do we not do that anymore I wonder?! *sigh*

J x

Tinsie said...

Aww what a great idea! Much better use for porcelain than sitting in a cupboard, and the cake looks utterly delectable.
I hope your neighbours appreciated it :-)

JP (mom) said...

Lovely tea setting and that sponge looks delicious! Only 12 more days till Freixenet or that glass of Bordeaux! Mmmm.....

Jilly said...

Can I come to tea? Can I? Can I? Can I?....please can I? - lovely pic and writing.

Jilly xxx

Gigi said...

Ah yes - Sunday tea...my mum used to do the same. No smoked salmon for us though - it was fishpaste, some awful processed 'cheese' in a tube, called Primula and ham and mustard. I always wanted to do the same here and when the girls were young, I did now and again. But it's such an unFrench type of meal that I have no occasion to make it these days. I don't even bake cakes or scones any more because everyone's 'on a diet' (mon oeil...)

Sigh. I know what you mean by nostalgic baking...:-)

Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?


Gigi

savvycityfarmer said...

do you always eat cake with your tea...I'd be as big as a barn!!!

Kari said...

It sounds like you've started a great tradition. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Here's hoping for rain on Sundays.

Ani said...

Oh my gosh I want a bit of that cake!