Thursday, September 07, 2006

La Rentree

Our "rentree", first day back at school, was on Tuesday when my son returned to school for, hopefully, his last year leaving me to reflect on how quickly they grow up. Call me a ninny but I cried on his first day of Maternelle aged 3; I cried on his first day at Primary school, aged 6. I didn't dare cry when he started secndary school and I'm not sure what will happen at Graduation!

So I came home and buried myself in housework and worked off the sadness....

Living in France as a foreigner only made real sense to me after I'd had my children. Most of the friendships I have now were made at the school gate and I treasure the women who accompanied me on the journey........

P.S. This could only happen here........on the way home from the shops I was driving behind a young girl on a scooter, aged 14/15 - smoking a cigarette......

3 comments:

Alison Ashwell said...

On monday when I was at the parents orientation for my daughter's new lycee , one of the parents asked if there was a designated smoking area for the kids to use.
I was gobsmacked

Pardon My French said...

Good luck to your son on his big year! Even though I know it happens all the time, I'm always shocked when I see young teens smoking in public. It usually seems to be girls, too, but maybe I just notice it more.

angela said...

I believe that according to the last survey, more girls smoke than boys.
It's a mystery to me why they do it!