Monday, August 28, 2006

Airport Security...

I'm not a great passenger; I always, always think I can drive the car or even fly the plane better than anyone else. (I'm just waiting for the moment when a distraught flight attendant calls for "anyone who can fly this thing!")
My fear doesn't cause me to imagine bombs on board or terrorists or fires in the hold. I simply hate the feeling that there's nothing but air beneath my feet. I shudder as I write...

Last week in the wake of the big security shake up I flew Nice to London, Heathrow and back on British Airways(great flights by the way. Very smooth).
Security at Nice was impeccable; one piece of hand luggage per person and no liquids, no gels, no make up and no medicine. I passed the xray machine, passport control and on the gangway to the plane was patted down and had to empty my hand luggage. In spite of notices everywhere in English and French the young lady in front of me had a bottle ofwater and three pots of make up confiscated...There's always one. It took about ten extra minutes to do all this and, believe me, was I confident that noone had smuggled anything at all on the plane? You bet..
Returning I was less confident because, although the one piece of hand luggage rule still stood, passengers were allowed to buy stuff in the duty free area so there were no checks immediately before boarding. It seemed to me that commerce had got in the way of a truly safe flight...

There's one thing that's clear is that flying will never be as easy, cheap or carefree as it has been this last decade. I wish I'd taken more advantage..

No comments: