Friday, November 10, 2006

Touching The Past...Grasse

Something which still gives me great pleasure is doing everyday tasks in the midst of such beauty and in places steeped in the past. Grasse is such a city and I was there to buy curtain tape. How mundane is that! On the way back to the car I took a detour round the back of the old part.
The local Mairie's done well and many places are well identified with plaques explaining in French and English their history though maybe they went a little over the top pointing out that the Chevalier D'Artagnan MAY have lived there. To be honest if they'd left it in French I'd have believed he HAD stayed there.
I'd already come across the house above in the photo but whenever I'm in Grasse I always stop for a look because this is a 13th century house where Catherine De Medici, Queen of France, lived in the 15th century. Unbelievable, isn't it? I've been to the Tower of London and seen where Anne Boleyn et al. lost their heads but somehow this seems more immediate...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that...is something I'd like to see.

Steve~

Darlene said...

I can't even imagine buying curtain tape in FRANCE!!!

Mind boggeling :D

sending you love,
xo darlene

JP (mom) said...

Fascinating bit of histoire! Thanks for sharing, Angela. {hugs} JP

Pam said...

That is amazing!

I think Grasse is a gorgeous area and I imagine it must be wonderful to live around there!

dirty dingus said...

And of course you can also see where Queen Victoria hung out too on what is now the "Avenue Victoria". IIRC that is the road to Magagnosc (or one of them)